Flat Holm Lighthouse Bristol Channel UK
Latitude 51 Deg 22.5 Min N
Longitude 3 Deg 7 Min W
Established 1737, 1839
Height of tower 30 meters
Elevation 50 meters
Character Fl (3) WR 10s
Range W 15 M; R 12 M
Fog signal Siren 30s
. . Old Post Card of the Flatholme Lighthouse
Flatholm is an Island in the shipping lane in the Bristol Channel, where it meets the River Severn.
In 1733 Trinity House was petitioned for a light, after the Merchant Venturers in Bristol had
been discussing the
possibility for a light for this busy shipping lane.
A coal fired light was specified. A tower was built and a fire lit. The quality of the light gave rise to complaints frequently.
As a result Trinity House agreed to rebuild and maintain the light until the expiry of the lease. They raised the tower, fitted Argand burners and reflectors in 1820.
In 1969 the station was electrified after numerous improvements over the years.
Back to Lighthouse Page
Return to Home Page