Portland Bill A0294, Dorset UK

Lat./Long: 5030.8N; 227.3W
Description: White round tower, red band
Character: GpFl (4) W 20s
Height of tower: 41 m
Elevation: 43 m
Visible: 29 M
Fog signal: Diaphone 30s


The current lighthouse was built to replace two earlier structures half a mile inland. The old lighthouse built in 1789 now houses a bird observatory. This light was first lit in 1906. The light is electric (100V 3000W) and produces 3.370,000 candle power

The lighthouse is equipped with a radio beacon (call sing PB). Keepers were withdrawn from the station in March 1996 and control of the station transferred to the Trinity House Operations Control Centre at Harwich.









Back to Lighthouse Page


Return to Home Page