Hurst Point A0538.1 - South Coast, UK

Latitude:50 Deg 42.5 Min N
Longitude: 1 Deg 32.9 Min W
Height: of tower 26 meters
Character: FL (4) WR 14s
Range: W 13 M, R 11 M

 


 




 

We saw Hurst Point for the first time from the ferry, when we crossed over to the Isle of Wight in September 2000, which was not close enough for a really good picture. But we had a chance for a closer look in July 2002. 

And we visited again in April 2009 for the opening of the Association of Lighthouse Keepers Exhibition Room in Hurst Castle.

 

 

 

The 1910 tower and a picture of a picture showing how it looked like.

 

(this picture is part of the Trinity House Exhibit at Hurst Castle)

 

 

It is claimed there was a light station here as early as 1733, but Trinity House records donít show a patent being obtained until January 1782. A tower, west of the old Hurst Castle was first lit in September 1786, but this light was found to be obscured from some directions, and an additional light was built in 1812. In the period 1865 Ė 1873 extensive reorganisation of the castle made it necessary to re-position the lights.
A new light, the Low Light was built in 1866. A new Low Light in 1911 - the square metal construction attached to the wall of the tower, which is still visible today - in turn replaced this low light.

 

The picture on the left shows the square tower and on the right you can see the distinctive red day mark the tower carried.

A major modernisation of Hurst Point High Lighthouse was completed in July 1997. Prompted by the growth in volume and diversity of traffic using the Needles Channel and following extensive consultation with the marine community, high intensity projectors were installed on Hurst High Lighthouse.

These are exhibited day and night to mark the channel between the Needles and the Shingles Bank. The projectors, sited in the service room below the lantern of the High Lighthouse, provide an accurate system of red, green and white directional lights giving precise cut offs over narrow arcs of visibility, which can be realigned in the event of movement of the Shingles Bank.

The main light at Hurst High still uses the unusual first order lens which is separated into sectors of different focal lengths with a red sector provided by shades inside the lantern. The acetylene light source has been replaced by standard Trinity House electrically powered equipment.

The Low Lighthouse, which was built on the wall of Hurst Castle, was decommissioned and painted grey (it was originally red) to match the surrounding background colours in order to eliminate navigational confusion.

The old light on the wall of the castle

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It is a long way up to the tower

But the climb is SO worth it!

The first order lens is split in parts of different focal length.

And the part on the right has a red sector.

 

 

We had a wonderful day when we visited Hurst Castle to see the Trinity House Exhibition and the opening of the new ALK room at Hurst Castle.
The centre court yard has been landscaped and a little monument has been erected to all those who fought and died at Hurst Castle.  The ALK room is at the centre arch in the background.
The two arches are where the Trinity House Exhibition are. And the lantern and optic from Egypt Point mark the entrance.

 

Back to Lighthouse Page


Return to Home Page