Cromer Lighthouse, Norfolk, England A2342

Lat./Long: 

 5255.5'N;119.1'E    

Character:

 Fl W 5s

Height of tower: 

 18 m

Elevation: 

 84 m

Visible: 

 23 M

First lit:  

 1680 (Present Tower 1833)

Automated 1990

 

The light on this eight sided tower is shown 24 hrs a day.

 

Sir John Clayton obtained a patent and built a lighthouse here in 1669. He was to charge light dues from the passing vessels. But due to high maintenance and the reluctance of the ship owners to pay up,  so Clayton could not afford to kindle fires in the tower at Cromer.

 

Still the tower was used as a beacon and listed in 1680 sea charts as "a lighthouse but no fire kept in it". Some time in between this an 1792, when Trinity House had possession of the station, a coal fire was shown here.

When Trinity House took over, they fitted a flashing light, reflectors and oil lamps on a revolving frame. This resulted in a very rapidly flashing light. This lighthouse was destroyed in a land slip in 1866.

The present lighthouse was built in 1833, well away from the cliff and electrified in 1958.
 

We took the photographs, when we spent a pleasant week in Norfolk in September 2004. It seems to stand right in the middle of a golf course.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This is a lovely picture of the light station taken from a letter card sold by the ALK- shame we don't know the artist.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to Lighthouse Page


Return to Home Page