Lighthouses in Burnham on Sea,
Bristol Channel, UK

 

 

.

Burnham Front Light, A5570

Burnham Rear Light

Latitude 51 deg 14.9 min N

.

Longitude 3 deg 0.3 min W

.

Height of tower 9 meters

Height of tower 30 m

Elevation 7 meters

Elevation 27 meters

Character Fl W 7.5s

Occ W 7.5s

Range 9 M

Range 17 M


The Rev. David Davies was granted a lease for a permanent light in Burnham on Sea, in the early nineteenth century. This was a lucrative enterprise. The dues were five shillings for British ships, ten for foreign ones and three shillings for coastal vessels. And the port of Bridgwater, a little further up the river, was getting increasingly busy.
In 1829 Trinity House bought the lease. Three years on a pair of leading lights was built to guide ships into the river Parrett.
The rear light is now a private residence and not open to the public, while the low light, though not actually open, can easily be seen on the beach.


 

 

 

 

 

 


Back to Lighthouse Page


Return to Home Page