Bremerhaven Rear Lighthouse B1268.1

 

Lat./Long: 

5332.8'N, 834.3'E

Character:

Iso W 4s

Height of tower: 

37 m

Elevation: 

34 m

Visible: 

8 M

First lit:  

1855

 

The Bremen Architect Simon Loschen (1818 - 1902) realised his love of gothic buildings in this neo-gothic tower.

Bremerhaven was founded in 1827 and after the completion of the port area with it's locks and basins, this lighthouse was built. The tower is unpainted brick and the  lantern painted green. On the side of the tower is a large iron bracket structure formerly used to display storm signals.

This elegant lighthouse could not be more different from the front range tower with which it is synchronised. The tower is located about 200 m (220 yd) north of the front light, near the lock that provides entry to the Neuer Haven (originally the light keepers also operated the lock).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bremerhaven Front Lighthouse B1268

Neuer Haven S. Mole Ldg Lts 006 Front

 

Lat./Long: 

5332.7'N, 834.3'E

Character:

Iso W 4s

Height of tower: 

26 m

Elevation: 

21 m

Visible: 

8 M

First lit:  

1893

 

This iron tower was nicknamed the "Minaret" or "Zwiebelturm" (onion tower) because of it's shape. A tapered-conical cast iron tower with gallery, crowned by a large ball and a spire.

This curious looking tower is quite a Bremerhaven landmark and has been  for more than a century.

In 1992 the lighthouse was moved 56 metres and the base raised some to make visibility better. It now stands in the grounds of the ever expanding zoo grounds (Zoo am Meer) on the south side of the entrance to the Neuer Hafen (new harbour) in Bremerhaven.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We saw both of these towers and the Kaiserschleuse Tower on our first "Germany Lighthouse Trip" in 2003. It was a wonderful day and we really enjoyed it, despite the wind. And it was a  lot more difficult to get a good photograph than it seems to have been for the guy who took the picture for this old post card.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Back to Lighthouse Page


Return to Home Page