Anvil Point A0496 - South Coast, UK
 

Lat./Long: 

 5035.48'N;157.52'W

Character:

 Fl W 10s

Height of tower: 

 12 m

Elevation: 

 45 m

Visible: 

 19 M

First lit:  

 1881  

         The old fog horn building
 

 

 

The station was built to a design by James Douglas. It was converted to electricity in 1900 and it's large optic donated to the Science Museum in London. The station received a smaller optic instead. The fog signal, which was an old carronade, was replaced by an electric emitter. It in turn was discontinued in 1988. The lighthouse was fully automated and the last keeper left on the 31st of May 1991.
 

 

 

This is a lovely picture of the light station taken from a letter card sold by the ALK- shame we don't know the artist

 

 


 

 

 


Back to Lighthouse Page


Return to Home Page